[open-government] government data licenses - best practice?

Adrian Norman adrian.norman at adminet.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 22:46:14 BST 2010

Josh

Regrettably, what is a no-brainer to Americans (and sought by many of us who
are reading this) is far from obvious to many Europeans.

Thirty years ago, I represented the UK in international discussions at OECD
on trans-border data flows - the legal treatment of information by a
receiving country when that information had come from another country. I
learnt a lot about the attitudes and assumptions of negotiators from other
governments. At the time, Europe had three legal traditions: the countries
never conquered by Napoleon had common law; of those he conquered, the
French system had survived in the north and west; the Mediterranean member
states maintained their 2,500 year old practice of paying lip service to
conqueror's law while obeying that of their once sovereign cities.

The US shared the UK common law system with much of the old British
Commonwealth but national variants had proliferated. Because of a Washington
turf war, their delegates at meetings came alternately from State and from
Commerce. The former understood the necessity for give and take in
negotiations but not the technical issues; the latter were well briefed by
industry on the issues and told to win concessions and concede nothing. In
particular, the US tried to apply its domestic law extra-territorially.
Often the administration was thwarted by Congress when signed agreements
came to the legislature to be ratified.

Having followed Alan Turing to the same school and university in England and
read the same subjects without his talent or distinction, I decided to study
for an MBA in the USA. I admired many of the faculty and students and later
worked for US multi-national businesses on four continents for many years.

I often had to explain the curious ways of funny foreign folk with long
histories to American colleagues who regard a mere 250 years as a long time
ago.

We can learn a lot from each other if we accept and respect the differences
between us and are open to sharing wisdom as well as knowledge.

In summary, I have learnt that:

in the UK, you can do it unless it's forbidden;
in Germany, you can only do it if it is allowed;
in France, you can do it even f it is forbidden;
in Russia, you cannot do it even if it is allowed;
in Spain, you can do it but not until manana;
in Italy, you should do it if your godfather recommends it;
in Nigeria, you can do it if you bribe the right official;
in Japan, you can do it if you have a consensus;
in the USA, you can do it if you hire the best lawyer.

Whether this is any help to Olav, I don't know. But licenses are a fact of
life for most people in the world, not least the USA. What else is the
patent system but a form of licence and whose coverage is more extensive in
USA than elsewhere in the developed world?

All the best,

Adrian Norman