[open-government] legal barrier to open government

Brian Gryth briangryth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:36:55 UTC 2011

Good day all,

I am preparing for a talk on open government that I will give in a couple of
weeks.  The audience is government attorneys and IT managers.  So I thought
I'd crowd source the answer to a few of questions to you all in the open
gov/gov 2.0 community:

What are the biggest legal barriers to open government efforts?
What are the biggest legal barriers to transparency?
What are the biggest legal barriers to participation?
What are the biggest legal barriers to collaboration?

If you have examples of specific laws or policies that would be great.  I
know everyone will be tempted to say attorneys, which is fine, just tell me
why?

Once I get my materials together, I will share them as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Brian