[open-government] [euopendata] Announcing the Open Data Challenge – a pan-European open data competition

Francesca Di Massimo Francesca.DiMassimo at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 6 06:54:51 UTC 2011

Hello all,
I quickly introduce myself, my name is Francesca Di Massimo, I work for Microsoft WE responsible for Privacy and Interoperability strategies,

This competition is a good opportunity  to share with you a platform for Data Reuse http://dev.govdata.eu/DataCatalog/DataSetList  that Microsoft Europe has recently implemented using open source code http://ogdi.codeplex.com/ . The current implementation stores data on the Azure Cloud Storage (Microsoft Cloud).

This platform provides an Interface (APIs or Protocol) that allows developers to:
•	query the desired data with filters. No infrastructure required.
•	build application using datasets from different providers
•	Always use the last version of the dataset
•	Sample code available to access data by most of existing the programming  language (PHP, Ruby, .net, Javascript..)

Compared to publishing a flat file (XML, XLS, CSV, TXT, …) main difference is:
•	no need to import the file before using the data (especially useful if you use a mobile)
•	no need to publish the data on your own web server to use them

Here is an example of a simple mash up applications built to show the waste intake points in the city of Rennes (dataset coming from the Paris Open datasets)
And here are the data exposed http://dev.govdata.eu/DataBrowser/frOpenData/RennesPAV#param=NOFILTER--DataView--Results . Available also the mobile app for Win phone 7.

Anyone could implement it, but, being a Microsoft implementation, I want to clarify that the there is no copyright on the data, of course. Data terms of use are the ones attached to the uploaded datasets.

In the next days we will upload on it some datasets from www.publicdata.eu , would you point me to the datasets your countries are most interested in for re-use, so I will upload those ones?
At the moment there are 33 datasets uploaded from 4 different European Countries (Spain, Austria, Netherlands and France).
A lot of open source sample code available here http://odaf.codeplex.com/ for data mashup.

I have submitted this info to the epsi plus portal, but it hasn’t been published yet, not sure if news about commercial companies’ initiatives are not allowed on the portal.

Francesca

Francesca Di Massimo • CSMG Privacy and Interoperability Lead • Microsoft Western Europe
mobile  +39 3485291741• e-mail Francesca.DiMassimo at microsoft.com •