[open-government] The Death of Open Data?

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Apr 20 00:27:29 UTC 2011

Is there any way we as a community can press the case that government could
actually save money with open data?

All of the talk in my part of the world has been using government data to
make departments more effective. It enables sharing and collaboration
between agencies by default.

Also, how much of data.gov spending is on website development? My feelings
are that governments should harness tools like CKAN and just provide
repositories as data wholesalers. Allow data retailers to spend money and
take on risk making products for consumers.

Tim McNamara  |  @timClicks <http://twitter.com/timClicks>  |
timmcnamara.co.nz