[open-government] Quirky licencing issue

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Apr 20 20:00:13 UTC 2011

New Zealand, along with many Commonwealth countries, has the notion of Crown
copyright[1]. In general, departments provide their works for any purpose
for no fee, so long as it is not used in a misleading way. However, each
department differs in its willingness to provide its content under an open
licence.

In this specific case, I think that copyright does not apply, contract law
does. It's very difficult for the Crown to claim that it owns copyright of
business names that it holds. The other data, such as addresses, seem like
pure facts to me. However, because I am using their service, I am bound by
their terms of use under contract law. Those terms of use prohibit what I
mentioned in my last email.

Tim McNamara  |  @timClicks <http://twitter.com/timClicks>  |
timmcnamara.co.nz

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_copyright#New_Zealand