[open-government] licensing and pricing Geo Data

opengovernmentdata.org at huntdesign.co.nz opengovernmentdata.org at huntdesign.co.nz
Wed Apr 27 21:03:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, April 28, 2011 7:43 am, Daniel Dietrich wrote:
> Hi Katleen, all,
>
> Thank you very much for this links. They are very helpful. Let me put my
> question a bit more radically:
>
> Are there any cases where 'open' licensing and / or pricing at marginal
> costs have proven to be an enabler for a successful Geo Data market?

Land Information NZ (LINZ) is one of the leading central government
agencies for Open Data in New Zealand.

They have recognised the economic contribution of geo data and sought to
further its contribution via more open licensing.
http://www.geospatial.govt.nz/linz-media-release-spatial-information-adds-hundreds-of-millions-to-new-zealand-s-economy/

One of the elements being addressed is licensing via NZGOAL which is a
government licensing regime using Creative Commons.
http://www.e.govt.nz/policy/nzgoal

It's probably a little early in NZ's case to point to specific market
activity arising from changes to licensing but it appears to be on its way
and companies like Koordinates.com are poised to reap rewards.

(Disclaimer: I'm a happy user of Koordinates.com geo api)

Regards
Jonathan

http://huntdesign.co.nz