[open-government] Fwd: Mix and Mash competition is open!

Fabrizio Scrollini fabrizio.scrollini at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:30:02 BST 2011

Could be of someone interest,

Best wishes,

Fabrizio

Hi everyone,

The Mix and Mash competition is now open, and full details are available on
http://mixandmash.org.nz.  The competition will run until 9pm on Thursday 15
September, and we hope you'll all consider entering this year!

The categories:

Data mash-up competition categories include applications that best:

encourage government transparency, access and insight into government
information or services;

contribute to New Zealand’s environmental well-being;

encourage New Zealanders’ participation in sport and recreation;

support the Canterbury earthquake recovery;

demonstrate the use of NZ data in a creative way.

Remix competition categories include the best:

visual representation of complex knowledge, information and/or data;

digital remix that tells “A New Zealand Aotearoa Story” using Creative
Commons, public domain, no known copyright, or openly licensed New Zealand
digital content

work of literature that creatively re-mixes a selection of talented writers’
works;

photo remix that explores the theme “Past and present, then and now,
yesterday and tomorrow”

demonstration of the re-use of open New Zealand content;

There's also support available for newbie developers and remixers in the
form of a Beginners Guide to Data Mashups (
http://www.mixandmash.org.nz/the-competition/mashup-guide/getting-started-with-an-api)
and an Educator's Guide to Remix useful for anyone who wants to learn the
basics of remix (http://www.mixandmash.org.nz/schools).

We also have a few google groups, one for mashups (
https://groups.google.com/group/mix-and-mash-data-mashups) and one for
remixes (https://groups.google.com/group/mix-and-mash-creative-remixes).

With the pool of absurdly talented folk on the ninjas list, I hope some of
you will consider lurking in the google groups and help out if and when
people have questions.  Despite the rumours, I don't have all the answers.

Lastly, voting is also now open for the Best Mashup...So Far competition.
 Voting closes at the same time as the Mix and Mash competition, 9pm on 15
September.  Check out http://mixandmash.org.nz for details.

Cheers
Chelsea Hughes
Mix and Mash Community Manager