[open-government] Help economic study family history data UK

Javier Ruiz Diaz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Tue Feb 1 14:20:59 UTC 2011

Hello

ORG is working with other groups including FreeBMD and OKFN in a project called the Open Genealogy Alliance to promote open data in the sector of family history. We will launch publicly at the end of February.

This sector has developed its own dynamics around artificially maintained data scarcity, and we have found out that short term economic interests will be the main objection to any proposed changes to the status quo.

We need to show the missed opportunities and be able to propose alternative solutions to the financing of archives and volunteer groups by closed licensing deals with commercial sites.

We are thus looking at the possibility of commissioning a study of the economics of the UK family history sector in relation to licensing etc.

One of the classic questions around OGD is the lack of detailed sector analysis. There have been some good overviews that also look at particular trading bodies, but not sector analysis. Please correct me and help me find those!

This study would cover (very rough):

- institutions and data holders
- voluntary groups
- commercial websites, magazines, services
- value chain (scanning, transcription, distribution...)
- licensing arrangements and effects
- competition issues around exclusive licenses
- positive effects of introducing an open licensing regime

We would like to know if this is feasible, and then we would need to look at costs before we go ahead. We would be heavily involved and co-working to get all the information, this is not an institutional commissioned report but a tool for campaigning.

Does anyone know of some economics team or bureau that could help here? EVPSI people? Before you point at Rufus Pollock, he is already helping a bit on this but cannot take it on.

many thanks, Javier