[open-government] [ckan-discuss] Questions for journalists about what datasets are useful for them?

Liane H liane99 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 00:12:04 GMT 2011

I worked as a journalist for over a decade, and my experience is that many
journalists are 'afraid' of data and as such not very likely to respond to
broad questions. With the risk of hugely oversimplifying, they want data to
strengthen their story but often are not too sure how to assess the
reliability and/or how to interpret the data. And all datasets are
potentially interesting, but of course health, crime and education always
work...

Graphs are good, like Armand suggested. A 'stats for dummies' which includes
a clear description of what the data does and does not say, confidence
intervals and what they mean, can maybe help.

Many journalists have not even had basic training in methods of research or
statistics. This is not to put anyone down, it is just to be aware of this.
In addition, journalists are always working against deadlines so they don't
have the time to really assess the validity of the data.

All in all, I'm afraid I can't really think of other questions at the moment
but I do think the crux lies more in explaining and contextualising the data
rather than the datasets.

I know this is quite vague, but still hope this is helpful in some way.

regards,
Liane