[open-government] [ckan-discuss] Questions for journalists about what datasets are useful for them?

Liane H liane99 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:31:07 GMT 2011

Thanks Paola

It's a bit sad, but I'm afraid I have to agree with your points and I agree
initiatives like data journalism are very important. I'm also working on a
'datacommunication' course for 15-16 year old pupils (input welcome!).

One clarification on my earlier post: when I say statistics, I do not mean
hard-core multi-variate analysis etc, but a rudimentary understanding of the
data. A few examples:

   1. life expectancy can be artificially high: it increased by more than 2
   years in Kensington & Chelsea, and South Cambs between 2009 and 2010. That's
   such a big increase that it should immediately make you wonder what is going
   on. It probably has to do with the number of people having more than 1
   house. They are recorded as residents of K&C but their death would be
   recorded in a different place. So for the K&C records, these people never
   die. This affects the life expectancy numbers. A similar problem can be
   found in places with a high student population.
   2. Crime can look low in high-crime areas and vice versa: this is a
   well-known problem but often disregarded in the reporting. To put it in
   extremes; if you live in a leafy suburb with low crime, you report the theft
   of your bicycle. If you live in a big city, you don't bother. And of course
   we have the wonderful reported crime versus fear of crime numbers, where the
   fear of crime in some low-crime areas is really high but does not reflect
   the reality at all.
   3. Averages hide the differences: again, the London borough of K&C
   provides a nice example. If you look at the whole borough, it's very
   affluent. Yet it also has some of the most deprived areas of the whole of
   England within its boroughs. The scary bit about this one is that we worked
   with high-level policy makers in that borough, and they didn't even know
   this...

It may sound as if these examples are too basic and everyone knows this, but
in my experience, they really don't.

Hope this is useful

Liane