[open-government] Plans for http://opengovernmentdata.org/?

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Thu Mar 24 17:04:00 GMT 2011

Dear Ton,

www.ourdata.eu is a great service, part of it is this Google Calendar which is the best resource for OGD events in the Eu that I am aware of. I just have my doubt that a service like google Calendar, where you have to grant permissions every time to individual contributors really is the future for decentralised cooperative tracking of events. GriCal goes in the direction of an open service that might suite our needs better. http://grical.org/

> It'd be good if we can find a way for both sites to augment each other.

Absolutely! This is part of the challenge: to join forces, augment each other and not re-invent the wheel.

> At ourdata.eu I for instance do not intend to explain what OGD is, what tools etc are available, just a site with examples of what is happening in Europe. So I can go to my gov, and you to yours saying 'why are we not doing what is already common in [[other country here]]?'
> Also ourdata.eu is not meant to list data sources etc.

This is great but offers little flexibility of how do add / edit and display the information. Finally the information could and should be synchronised or synchronisable between differnd site that *do augment each other*. I am just unhappy with the way information can be added, edited and displayed.

> FYI, at epsiplatform.eu there will be a growing list of sources and especially people involved in OGD in various European countries, next to the current news and reports etc. So maybe it's good to see if and how all three sites can augment each other.

Agree. Lets try the best to coordinate this. So I would like to re-emphasise Jonathan's call

>> Anyone up for a virtual get together next week (e.g. Monday evening,
>> Tuesday or Wednesday) to have a go at getting this ship shape? ;-)

I am up for this and would propose next Monday, Mach 28th evening about 6pm CET or shall we poll via doodle?

Best Regards
Daniel