[open-government] [psi-workers] [euopendata] Rules + website for Open Data Challenge

Herve Rannou hrannou at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 07:27:13 GMT 2011

Standardization is the most important topic that share-psi.eu has to investigate.

Because this initiative has been setup under the umbrella - or something like that - of the European Commission, we could consider that the guidelines are the ones defined in the White Paper "Modernizing ICT Standardization" that is used today as a reference for EU Policy. (http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/newsroom/cf/_getdocument.cfm?doc_id=3152)

Like others, I regret that this paper reflects traditional european concerns that are driven by industry in which Europe is stronger. For example, the reference to FRAND principle as the unique license regime. Other regimes are considered as subsets or ad-hoc profiles of FRAND.

With PSI, we could open a new door in Standardization policy in Europe. We have to embrace all points of views in that perspective.
Open source could one component of the debate. But the ways we can play with standards + licenses + techno neutrality + FRAND + royaltee free + (components vs APIs) + open source + (products / services) + ... are very complex.
That could be counterproductive to define one point or another as a prerequisite.

And not the least, the contest is an opportunity to enrich our understanding and assessment of this issue.
We have to investigate different economic models and we have to invite anybody with its own approach.

Herve

Herve Rannou
hrannou at gmail.com