[open-government] [euopendata] [psi-workers] Rules + website for Open Data Challenge

MD info at digisus.info
Thu Mar 24 14:06:02 UTC 2011

Am 24.03.2011 13:36, schrieb Thomas Roessler:
> On 24 Mar 2011, at 13:32, Jonathan Gray wrote:

>> Re: open source + open data in apps, what about 'we strongly encourage
>> entrants to use open licenses for code, content and data'?
>
> I don't think we should require open source licenses for the apps (or make this part of the evaluation) -- in fact, if somebody came up with something that's productized and sold later on, we should welcome that.

I beg to differ. We should think very hard whether we want to actively
prevent reuse of the results (=useful software code) of an OKF competition.

Maybe I am mistaken as I joined OKF only recently, but for
myunderstanding OKF would shoot itself and its mission in the foot if we
do not -require- reusability of the competition results through open
source licensing. If OKF wants that a lot of data will become open and
actively (re)used, why should we ever selfimpose a limit on the creation
and availability of tools to do exactly that? From that POV, I even
think it is of strategic importance to OKF's mission.

Somebody may object and say that we hinder companies to participate
because we kill the for-profit motivation. Well, no, we do not. :-) This
is the general argument brought forward, but the very existence of heaps
of open source software, wikipedia and many other collaboratively
created digital resources prove the opposite: digital stuff gets created
if enough people have an interest in it. And I am very confident that
there are people out there with an interest to (re)use open data..

Finally, from a legal perspective every participant is the copyright
holder of the software submitted. They are completely free in licensing
the same piece of software in another way and sell it (so called
'dual-licensing'). Yet, plenty of companies do exist today that live
from offering full services aruond FOSS web tools (e.g., typo3, joomla etc.)

This, however, is a competition run by OKF to further the mission of
OKF. Therefore we need to require open licensing for all submissions.

IMO, at least. :-)