[open-government] Legislation, Acts, Directives and Policies on the destruction of Government Data Bases - Canadian Gun Registry

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 17:57:15 UTC 2011

Here is a lengthy blog post on the topic of the destruction of the gun
registry.

http://datalibre.ca/2011/11/17/can-the-gun-registry-database-legally-be-destroyed/

The issue of the destruction of the Canadian Gun Registry Database and
refusing access to its data to provinces struck me as being off!

Sure enough, it is not quite right, but this Conservative Government is
arguing for a bill to override its own acts, and the guardians or
implementers of those acts are quite mute on the subject - Library Archives
Canada, Treasury Board of Canada, RCMP.  In the Case of Bill c-19, it would
seem that LAC may even have given this government advise on how to do it, I
speculate of course, but it is incredibly specific.

I did some analysis as the question was really bugging me, and I was
pointed to some good resources and if  you want to be attributed personally
in the Blog post let me know, for the time being I attributed the lists.

Who would have thought that a database might require the assistance of
a *constitutional
lawyer* - any in the house?  As c-19 just does not sit right.