[open-government] [ogdcamp] Workshop on licence choices within each country

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Tue Nov 8 15:39:47 UTC 2011

Hi all

I wanted to thank everybody for the discussion. I will also add German view
later to the pad.

Just a Word on Thomas comment: Yes, in most jurisdictions a
"no-license-policy" is Not a Good choice. On the other hand in some
 countries, like Germany some PSI is under Public Domain, so applying a
license would actually add unnecessary restrictions - besides the fact that
it is legally incorrect. in this cases the best solution might be a "Public
Domain mark" that indicates the Data is allready in Public Domain so no
licens is needed / applicable.

Daniel

On Tuesday, 8 November 2011, Thomas Thurner <t.thurner at semantic-web.at>
wrote:
> Hi Antti,
>
> I've added the Austrian situation to the mentioned Etherpad.
>
> And I want to add, that the discussed "no-license-policy" is dangerous.
Not to add any license regime to a piece of content means in many national
legislations to fall back to restrict copyright regulations by default.

ogdcamp at lists.okfn.org>, "Open Government WG List" <
open-government at lists.okfn.org>, "Claire Libertic" <
claire.libertic at gmail.com>, "Benjamin Jean" <mben at venividilibri.org>,
"Primavera de Filippi" <pdefilippi at gmail.com>, "EU Open Data Working Group"
<euopendata at lists.okfn.org>, "Nicolas Kayser-Bril" <n.kayserbril at gmail.com>
> Gesendet: Dienstag, 8. November 2011 16:06:54
> Betreff: Re: [ogdcamp] [euopendata] Workshop on licence choices within
each     country

> Hi,
>

> Thanks for the great licensing -workshop in OGDcamp Warsaw. I wonder if
there was some followup blogposts or shared notes or other next steps? I'm
currently writing down my thoughts in Finnish for the local audience here.

> BR,
>

> Antti Poikola
>

> On 14 October 2011 16:22, Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou < b.ooghe at gmail.com >
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Primavera (from CC-fr), Claire (from LiberTIC) and myself (from
> RegardsCitoyens) wanted to let know to all of you coming to Warsaw
> next week that we're organizing a wrokshop/round table in order to
> discuss open data licence choices made in all of our countries (friday
> 21st, 4:30 pm)
>
> In France, the licence subject has risen many issues since a lot of
> public actors usually want to sell their data. Thanks to the lobbying
> from the community, some Open Licences (ODbL mostly, which was
> officially translated) were adopted by multiple cities and during next
> week, after months of discussion with the government team in charge of
> the coming data.gouv.fr , should be released the future official
> national french licence, that should be similar to a BY licence,
> inpired by the british OGL.
>
> We understand that more than 40 different countries will be
> represented in Warsaw, so we believe it would be really interesting to
> have representants from most countries share altogether what official
> choices were made in every country regarding open licences for data
> and how the communities can puh towards open licences and how to
> ensure international compatibilities between all of these
>
> This should also be a good occasion to discuss the open clauses that
> can be included by an open licence. After the release a couple ays ago
> of the canadian study on share-alike for collectivities data, at the
> opposite to the choice ome french cities including Paris did wih ODbL,
> it seems like having an international discussion among the community
> on the mater would be of great use and interest.
>
> The following pad describes the proposed planning for this workshop,
> please list your country if you intend to be there, and do not
> hesitate to edit the programme with ideas and suggestions !
> http://okfnpad.org/ogdcamp-fr
>
> See you all next week !
>
> Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou

> Antti "Jogi" Poikola - +358 44 337 5439

> | Thomas Thurner
> | Head of Transfer
> | Semantic Web Company (SWC)
> | Mariahilferstrasse 70 / Neubaugasse 1, Top 8
> | A - 1070 Vienna, Austria
> | Tel +43.1.402 12 35 - 25 | Fax +43.1.402 12 35 - 22
>
> COMPANY INFORMATION
> | http://www.semantic-web.at
> | http://blog.semantic-web.at
> | http://poolparty.biz
>
> PERSONAL INFORMATION
> | t.thurner at semantic-web.at
>
> VISIT
> | OKFO / Open Govenment Data Austria: http://www.opendata.at
> | LOD2 - Creating Knowledge out of Interlinked Data: http://lod2.eu/
> | SWC Open House, every first Wednesday from 5pm on:
http://www.semantic-web.at/node/148

Daniel Dietrich

The Open Knowledge Foundation
www.okfn.org - www.opendefinition.org