[open-government] Who is hacking on transport data?

Philip Ashlock phil at openplans.org
Wed Nov 23 22:18:16 UTC 2011

Daniel, I'd be happy to connect you with some of my colleagues who are
experts on this stuff in the U.S. In the meantime, here are a few notable
things to check out in the US:

City Go Round <http://www.citygoround.org/> is similar to Trafiklab. It
lists the transit agencies that have and have not released their data in
GTFS (general transit feed specification) along with all the apps that are
available to work with GTFS. This creates a nice dynamic because it
simultaneously creates peer pressure and competitiveness amongst transit
agencies and shows the value proposition of opening data (with all the apps
listed).

A Case for Open Data in
Transit<http://openplans.org/civichacker/2010/08/02/a-case-for-open-data-in-transit/>is
a short documentary we made about the value of open data in transit.

We also work on some of the worlds largest open source transit projects
including OpenTripPlanner <http://opentripplanner.com/> and the
continued development
of OneBusAway as it is rolled out across all NYC buses as MTA
BusTime<http://openplans.org/2011/11/22/staten-island-well-see-you-in-bus-time/>

OpenTripPlanner has been used in a number of places in Europe and around
the world and I'm pretty sure that the open source work on MTA BusTime is
being done with the same SIRI standards used in Europe.

A good place to learn more about what's going on with transit data is this
very active mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/transit-developers

Best,
Phil