[open-government] typology of (government) datasets

Paul Hermans paul at proxml.be
Mon Sep 5 08:37:38 BST 2011

Hi Tim,

Thanks for this additional input.

On 03 Sep 2011, at 14:57, Tim Davies wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> Can you say a bit more about what sort of typologies you were thinking of?

The question came up by some people wanting to have an indicator if the dataset was containing pure statistical data or not.
So we wondered if other governments already made a distinction between statistical and other (administrative?) datasets and, if yes, which categories they were using.

> If you're trying to describe the thematic scope of different datasets, two resources that could be useful:
>
> DCAT
> The DCat Data Catalogue Vocabulary is being developed to provide a way of describing data catalogues - particularly government data catalogues - and includes properties for geographical, temporal and thematic coverage, as well as (somewhat underspecified at present) properties for accuracy and so-forth.
>
> There's quite a bit of DCat data already around. A search on Sindice throws up the following which you can explore: http://bit.ly/oauR5G

We are already using DCAT but we wondered to add an additional field for indicating the type.
Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware that DCAT is already used that much.

> COFOG
> If you're looking more at thematic typologies of what datasets are about then the UN Classifications of the Functions of Government (COFOG) typology could be useful for international comparison. There should be mappings from many national vocabularies onto COFOG available.
>
> http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcst.asp?Cl=4

Good, we will do that.

> If you're looking at the impacts of datasets then some of Josh's suggestions for possible classification structures are a good starting point. Is there one approach from those you are particularly interested in?

I think our use case comes closest to the legal, administrative, civic capital distinction Josh is taking as the first breakdown possibility. I will study his mentioned documents and slide decks today.

Thanks,

Paul

> All the best
>
> Tim
>
> --
> @timdavies
> http://www.timdavies.org.uk
>

> 2011/9/2 Paul Hermans <paul at proxml.be>
> Hi,
>

> Has someone already been working on a typology for datasets used and produced in government settings?
> If yes, any pointer is highly appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>

> Paul

Kind Regards,
Paul Hermans