[open-government] New brazilian Open Data portal dados.gov.br, made by citizens

Nitai Silva nitai.silva at planejamento.gov.br
Tue May 22 19:26:56 BST 2012

Hi Fabio,

No, there wasn't any kind of guidance at the beginnig. We started the
project 2 years ago as a proactive project, so we hadn't the institucional
support to foster the initiative at that time. Now, we have OGP and other
highlighted issues, like our FOIA (Lei de Acesso à Informação), so it has
been easy to explain that Open Data matters.
About how to know what dataset can be shared or not, we avoid to discuss
the process to classify information as public or private or confidential,
there is de FOIA for this purpose. We are too busy concerned with
technological issues.

Our advice to any country who wants implement OGD portal, is to start early
as they can, create an open environment for citizen participation, and
boost the participation.

Best regards,

Nitai Bezerra da Silva
Open Data Team