[open-government] Defining Open Data

Tomoaki Watanabe tomoaki.watanabe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 04:04:31 UTC 2013

Hi Michael.

My initial reaction to your question would be "no, the data openness
and software openness are different." An analogy is that you can use
non-open operating system to write code for open source software.

But then, when it comes to a wholesale copying of open data portal,
(i.e. if one wants to create a mirror site with a copy of the open data
portal and each and every data set listed), openness of the data portal
software is somewhat important.

Best,

Tomo
 OKF Japan/ CC Japan/ GLOCOM