[open-government] Off-topic: convenient way to read mailing list ?

Ted Strauss ted at trudat.co
Thu Oct 24 19:40:52 UTC 2013

Hi Ivo,
My comment goes a little further off-topic, but I think is relevant to your
main point: that listservs don't always lend themselves to ongoing
discussions, and do poorly at some common reading needs, such as trying to
catch up on an old thread with many contributions.

I have been suggesting to some listservs that I read to check out a new
open-source forum software called
Discourse<https://app.getsignals.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.discourse.org%2F&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgIDmnK4KDA&k=fbf75256c7a54f7b8289a3f02ae42d7e>that
was designed to solve some of the problems of listservs, and many of
the problems of web-based forums. To see an example of the forum in action
check out the HowToGeek
forum<https://app.getsignals.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdiscuss.howtogeek.com%2F&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgIDmnK4KDA&k=5e6e3fa8304c420ba3337cbbe42e23b9>.
The thing I like most about Discourse is that it supports long-term
discussions and collaborations, allowing participants to drop in and out of
topics over months and years of activity. Also, simple feedback systems
allow the most constructive contributions to be given some priority. The
main criticism of Discourse is that it is web based, not email based
(although there are several options for receiving emails), which is a
different communication workflow from what listserv users are accustomed
to.

If anyone is interested in trying out Discourse for a forum project, please
get in touch. Since it is an open-source project, I consider myself part of
the user community, but I have no professional affiliation to the project
beyond that.

Best
Ted Strauss
odx.io<https://app.getsignals.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fodx.io%2F&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgIDmnK4KDA&k=b752e32e07c549dc93cfed3beed4ab60>
Trudat.co<https://app.getsignals.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftrudat.co%2F&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgIDmnK4KDA&k=605128a08d0b4ba8a93edfc006eaecb1>
 @trudatted<https://app.getsignals.com/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Ftrudatted&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgIDmnK4KDA&k=f04ab112da63462780e45d5e24be65ce>

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM, satyaakam goswami <satyaakam at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Ivo Babaja <ivobab at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>> this is off-topic (or better meta-topic) but I think it would be useful
>> to share what you consider the best way to follow this (or any similar)
>> mailing list.
>> In the simple mail reader, the posts are hard to follow, with all the
>> headers and endless repeating quotations in message bodies.
>>

> to tackle this we need to have a mailing list guidelines like these
> http://lug-iitd.org/Mailing_List_Guidelines
>

>> It would be useful to be able to follow topics and discussions in the
>> fashion of newsreadrs. There is online mailing list archive service (Gmane)
>> that allows such approach, but open-government is not available in it.
>> Is there any other, maybe desktop solution, for reading mailing lists in
>> more convenient way ?
>>

> i do not see an issue with the web based gmail client , you can use labels
> to identify the mails as they come in and mark with a star for any action
> to be taken also you can check out offline gmail client  in chrome , also
> try http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ .
>

> -Satya
> Satyaakam.net <http://satyaakam.net/> | fossevents.in | fossacademy.org

Ted Strauss