[open-government] Masters thesis: "The British Open Data Ecosystem"

Maximilian Heimstädt m.heimstaedt at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:26:08 UTC 2014

Hi Tarek,

first please excuse my late reply as I have been abroad for a while. I
checked your question with my universities library and  forward you the
relevant parts of the reply.

tl;dr: there are no constraints by the university

" The copyright in your MSc thesis resides with you, and you are entitled
to reuse your work under your choice of licence. A caveat to this would be
where it contains third party copyright material, intellectual property
that was deemed to be commercially exploitable, or anything of a
confidential nature. There is a note on this in the University Postgraduate
policy:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/policy/tlac/postgraduate/taught/#d.en.53885

In publishing any piece of work under a CC licence you need to ensure that
you state if any content contained in the work is not covered. Given the
subject of your thesis you are probably aware of this, but the relevant
guidance is contained in the CC licence deed
"*Considerations for licensors:* Our public licenses are intended for use
by those authorized to give the public permission to use material in ways
otherwise restricted by copyright and certain other rights. Our licenses
are irrevocable. Licensors should read and understand the terms and
conditions of the license they choose before applying it. Licensors should
also secure all rights necessary before applying our licenses so that the
public can reuse the material as expected. * Licensors should clearly mark
any material not subject to the license.* This includes other CC-licensed
material, or material used under an exception or limitation to copyright. More
considerations for
licensors.<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Considerations_for_licensors_and_licensees#Considerations_for_licensors>"

I am not aware of any specific University guidance on this [...]"

I hope that answers your question.

Best wishes

Max.

--

*Mobil: +49 (0) 162 6754947Skype: maximilian_heimstaedt*