[wdmmg-discuss] a good e.g. of obtaining council accounts

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 06:49:52 UTC 2010

Lisa

At the moment the categories councils have to report under (by 2011) haven't
been specified. So I guess I'm looking for a steer as two what
categorisation there is within the accounts system itself, especially any
that links to externally defined categories (CIPFA, COFOG??). solving that
prob is going to be essential if we're going to link the granular level to
the reporting level. Can't make Wednesday, but would be great if you could
explore this a little.
Thanks
Chris

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Lisa Evans <lisa.evans at okfn.org> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I think the schema helps for a couple of reasons.
>
> 1) It gives you a structure around which you can discuss the data. In some
> cases I've found the authority might say that all the data in the database
> is already published in their reports, but when they talk through the schema
> it is clear that much more detailed data is stored there.
>
> 2) You could use other tactics to get an explanation of the data, but the
> schema is usually simple to obtain.
>
> I'm not sure what categories councils are to report their spending under
> from Jan 2011, where can I get that?
>
> I've asked to meet next Wednesday, but haven't had confirmation yet.
>
> Lisa
>

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Chris Taggart wrote:
>
>  Lisa
>> What I'd like is be able to see if the schema helps with the spending data
>> that all councils need to be publishing by Jan 2011 (partic re
>> categories).
>> When's your meeting with CCC?
>> Chris
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Lisa Evans <lisa.evans at okfn.org> wrote:
>>
>>  I've mentioned before on this mailing list that I've been requesting
>>> details of a few different council's accounts.
>>>
>>> My best result so far has been with Cambridgeshire County Council, as you
>>> can see here:
>>>
>>> http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/data_from_the_fujitsu_oracle_dat
>>>
>>> Mostly this is because I've been lucky to meet Andy on 'What do they
>>> know',
>>> who knows the account database tables well.
>>>
>>> So, I've got a meeting at Cambridgeshire county council to discuss the
>>> data
>>> we want -- this gives me a chance to show the wdmmg visualisations and
>>> explain the project.
>>>
>>> Let me know if you have suggestions for what to ask.  I should be meeting
>>> them with Andy, hopefully this Wednesday, and I'll keep you posted on how
>>> this goes.
>>>
>>> Lisa

OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture