[wdmmg-discuss] CSV schema of user uploaded spending data

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 11:59:49 UTC 2011

Stefan

I'm not sure whether this is directly connected, but one thing I wanted to
say about the datadump (I downloaded, but couldn't find a list of the
headings) is that it doesn't seem to have full provenance information for
the data. As a potential reuser, I'd always want to know where the data came
from, so I could get additional info, so I could verify the data, and so
that problems with the data are notifiable to the original publisher.

On the OpenlyLocal spending data, when financial_transactions are imported
of the spending data there is full provenance, with not just the URL of the
CSV file but also the line number the transaction was imported from (as well
of course as the creation date). This has helped the publishers of the
information discover probelms in their data, or with the importing of the
data, and also provides the attribution that the OGL requires.

Would be great if we could establish this as a standard.

Cheers
Chris

On 1 March 2011 11:48, Stefan Wehrmeyer <stefanwehrmeyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> based on the Technical Format (
> http://wiki.openspending.org/Technical_Format) I have written a user guide
> to creating a conforming CSV file for user uploaded datasets.
> The article is addressed to users who have data to contribute and who can
> make our work easier by transforming the data into the exact schema that is
> defined in here:
>
> http://wiki.openspending.org/CSV_Schema
>
> This is the first iteration and a simple loader that can read it will be
> implemented. Please have a look and give feedback.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture