[annotator-dev] New member - introduction

Timothy Hill thill at nyu.edu
Mon Aug 8 08:38:19 UTC 2011

Hello, List,

My name's Timothy Hill. I'm a developer new to the Open Knowledge
Foundation, but very enthused by its aims and the community.

Over the past decade or so I've worked on a couple of
annotation-focused projects - first a web application called Lectrix,
a hypertext commentary system for students of Ancient Greek and Latin
literature, unfortunately behind a paywall
(http://www.cambridge.org/online/lectrix/texts.htm), and latterly on a
piece of software called Pliny (http://pliny.cch.kcl.ac.uk/).

As the above indicates, my background is in humanities computing, so
Annotator's origins in openshakespeare.org is familiar territory to
me. I'm particularly interested in 'cf.' style annotations - i.e.,
some means of indicating that two or more passages are related to each
other and specifying what that relationship is.

Technically, I've got a fair bit of experience in Java, MySql,
XML/XSLT, and JavaScript/jQuery development. More recently I've been
using RDF/SPARQL, and I've started exploring Python - a direction I'm
very keen to move further in.

Annotator looks promising and I'd be interested in contributing,
whether to the original codebase or with plugins, etc.

Thanks,

Tim