[annotator-dev] New member - potential work allocation

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Aug 12 15:24:36 UTC 2011

On 12 August 2011 13:15, Timothy Hill <thill at nyu.edu> wrote:
> Hi, Rufus
>
>> If you were interested in doing some python or js stuff on annotator
>> stuff we could definitely find something to do (the python backend
>> especially could do with some more work).
>
> Sure ... I'd definitely be interested in doing some backend Python
> work. I guess there's a caveat to attach to that, though, in that I
> don't have a great deal of experience with Python. What I've seen, I
> like, and I want to do more. But I'm not capable of turning around
> something big and/or fast as matters stand.
>
>  If you've got something reasonably bite-sized and Python-y I'd be
> keen to take it on, though.

OK, great. Here's my suggestion for what you could do to start with:

1. Review and transfer user stories.

Finish transferring user stories (those not marked with [T]) on wiki:
<https://github.com/okfn/annotator/wiki/Use-Cases-and-User-Stories> to
the spreadsheet (linked on that page). I think this would be useful
because it will also give you an idea of what we have been doing (also
if you have any ideas for new user stories you can add them!).

I'd also suggest looking through open issues both on annotator and on
store (<https://github.com/okfn/annotator-store/issues>)

2. Take a look at this issue:
<https://github.com/okfn/annotator-store/issues/23>

This is a good one to do as it involves getting annotator store
running locally (should be relatively simple)

3. [bigger, optional and to think about] Update annotateit.org to
allow for uploading documents rather than just being a storage engine.

Simplest plan:

a) Replace annotateit.org with wordpress install (this is doc management system)
b) Move current annotator store instance to api.annotateit.org (or
even just mount at annotateit.org/api)

More complex plan in which users of two systems (annotator storage and
doc management system) are merged:

a) Have a wordpress install. This would do user and document management.
b) Write a plugin for annotator-store so that it delegates account
management to wordpress.
c) Write a plugin for wordpress (or hack into wordpress db) to provide
annotateit info on wordpress internal user page (i.e. bookmarklet,
secret key etc)

Rufus