[annotator-dev] Annotator and FinalsClub.org

Andrew@FinalsClub.org andrew at finalsclub.org
Tue Dec 13 18:54:48 UTC 2011

Dear all,

Rufus and I had a great meeting last Tuesday in the "other" Cambridge.  All told, it seems like the efforts of FinalsClub and the Open Knowledge Foundation are pretty aligned when it comes to annotation tools and open data.  As a result, we at FinalsClub will be taking an increased leadership role in development and usage for Annotator in 2012.

Currently, we plan to pivot toward annotation in early February '12 and ramp up through the spring.  Overall, we're committed to helping to improve the open source annotator code and feature set, contributing our content, and coordinating a community around the cause of open and structured knowledge around texts.

Come late February, I'll be holding weekly calls with all interested developers or stake-holders to raise the usability and popularity of open annotation, particularly among academic communities.  Because we have another important and urgent project development project currently in the works, we will be waiting until February before getting started.  If anyone would like to help coordinate or support matters going forward, please do let me know and we can figure out the best way to keep everyone optimally involved.

Looking forward,
Andrew Magliozzi
Founder, FinalsClub.org

PS  - Rufus and I did some quick brainstorming about the various verticals for Annotator.  Here are our thoughts below.  I look forward to many more ideas and action in the future as well.

[note: Bullets are in our current order of priority.]

Products/Projects:
Annotator - The open source tool  [code]
OpenLiterature.net - gutenberg annotatable  [open community]
“textualize” See: https://github.com/okfn/textualize
Example... this is something to iterate in a SaaS model perhaps?
AnnotateIt Docs (document annotation and storage)
upload, store, and share - crocodoc.com or a.nnotate.com or documentcould.com
See this: http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/annotator-dev/2011-August/000089.html
AnnotateIt - widget for a site to add html - level annotation to any site
 like disq.us
AnnotateIt+ - Aggregating annotations from across the web and gathering contribs in the same place.  Browser plugin.  Caching the content from the web.  A web within a web but annotated.