[annotator-dev] Annotator plugin for Wordpress, a first progress report

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jun 2 09:49:52 UTC 2011

Comments inline below.

My main question to the list: is there anyone out there interested in
being and alpha tester and trying out this wordpress plugin on a site
or theirs?

On 2 June 2011 10:38, Andrea Fiore <andrea.giulio.fiore at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As announced, here is my report about the progress of the Wordpress
> Annotator plugin project I have been working on in the last few days.
>
> I have just completed a first 0.1 version of the plugin providing the
> following features:
>
> - Automatic injection of the Annotator JavaScript code into the currently
> active Wordpress theme with no need of manually editing the theme’s HTML.
>
> - Option to configure, through a CSS3 selector, the portion of the document
> in which the Annotator widget should be embedded.
>
> - Option to decide whether to show only authenticated users’ annotations or
> to show also annotations made by anonymous users.
>
> - A rudimentary regular expressions based mechanism for configuring in what
> pages/blog sections the Annotator widget should be included.

Great work.

> While finishing up this first coding iteration, I have also taken note into
> the GitHub issues section
> (https://github.com/okfn/annotator-wordpress/issues) of a number of possible
> features that I am considering to add next. This is by no mean a definitive
> road map for the project, and I am absolutely open to critiques, comments,
> and feature requests.

I also noticed a weird feature of the annotator -- if you try and
annotate at the top of the text the annotation box is hidden under the
wordpress masthead area ... (does this happen to other people?)

> In short, I think the most urgent feature to implement is a more granular
> and user friendly system for configuring what sections of the blog should be
> annotable and what should not (see issue #6 for details).

It would be good to get feedback from others here.

> Another design issue that probably should be addressed - or at least on
> which I need to get my head around - is how blog annotations should be
> moderated (see issue #3). Bloggers are already used to moderate comments on
> their blogs and I assume they will expect to do exactly the same with inline
> annotations. I guess what we need is a way to discriminate between
> annotations explicitly created and displayed through the blog (which I think
> blog owners should be able to moderate) and annotations displayed through a
> browser-based mechanism such as the bookmarklet (which I think blog owners
> should not be able to moderate).

This is possible but not trivial. I think we should integrate with
further work on creating a suite of annotator javascript 'tools'
(building on the basic filter tool built by Aron).

[...]

Rufus