[annotator-dev] SemLib & Annotateit

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 20 20:33:09 UTC 2011

cc-ing our (public) list annotator-dev (I'd warmly invite you to join [1])

On 20 May 2011 15:02, Christian Morbidoni <christian.morbidoni at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> hope everything is fine with you.
> Remember in Milan I mentioned SemLib and the annotation system we are starting to develop?
> Well, developers decided not to base directly on annotateit as we already have most of the functionalities already implemented and we are using Dojo (vs. Coffescript).

No problem. Would be interested to see code at your end. Note that
coffeescript is just a convenience layer (we developed originally in
pure javascript). The really core lib it uses is jquery ...

> We are going to develop a server side too, based on Sesame as we need storing triples and working with them. it seems the best solution to me.

OK, have to say a triple store sounds like a pretty heavy duty solution :-)

> However I'd like SemLib to be interoperable with annotateit: this means annotateit should be a possible light-weight client for our server. This means we'll need compliant annotation format and APIs.

OK. In that case we should talk about that :-) Can I suggest you post
your suggestions to the list [1]

> For the format: we are adopting AOC data model and will have a JSON representation for it, based on RDF/JSON from Talis. Are you considering AOC in annotateit?
> I'l keep you posted (if you are interested :-) ).

I assume you mean OAC, as in:

<http://www.openannotation.org/spec/alpha3/>

This is something we're also looking at. I think using JSON-LD [2] one
could already make our current json format pretty closely compatible.
I would note that, generally, requiring avg web-devs to send rdf-like
stuff via json can be a turn-off :-) (which is what RDF/JSON looks
like). Then again serializing to something like JSON-LD can be more
complex than the normal talis RDF/JSON format.

Rufus

[2]: http://json-ld.org/