[annotator-dev] changing the annotator-hl class or id

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Thu Sep 1 14:22:12 UTC 2011

Hi Ewald,

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 14:37, Ewald Zietsman <ewald at siyavula.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to assign different colours for different 'categories' of annotations but the mechanics behind the highlighting is a bit over my head.

No problem. The slicing and dicing of the DOM that annotator does is
pretty complicated, so don't worry about it!

> in annotator.coffee I have changed the following code to check whether an annotation has a category attribute and to assign the highlighting accordingly.
> [...snip...]

The code you've provided is a bit confused, as you've guessed. The
`annotation.highlights` array actually contains a list of DOM nodes,
so I think the easiest way to do what you want is add something like
the following after line 242 of annotator.coffee:

      annotation.ranges.push normed.serialize(@wrapper[0], '.annotator-hl')
      hlElems = this.highlightRange(normed)
      if annotation.category?
        $(hlElems).addClass(".annotator-hl-#{annotation.category}")
      $.merge annotation.highlights, hlElems

Let me know how you get on with that!

Best,
Nick