[annotator-dev] Looking at Fluidinfo as a possible backend for Annotate

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jul 26 18:49:51 UTC 2012

Hi Kartik,

Would definitely be interested to see a fluid-info backend if you were
interested in coding this up -- we're always interested in seeing new
backends in addition to the standard one the project provides as a
default in the form of http://annotateit.org/ (which runs of the the
Annotator Store https://github.com/okfn/annotator-store)

Rufus

On 26 July 2012 19:44, Kartik Subbarao <subbarao at computer.org> wrote:
> I'm looking at the possibility of using fluidinfo as a backend store for
> annotator:
>
> http://doc.fluidinfo.com/fluidDB/overview.html
>
> Although the code itself isn't open source, fluidinfo runs a freely
> available database for people to store tagged data on any type of object
> (which could certainly include annotations on web sites). The framework is
> pretty extensive and seems to be a potentially good fit for use with
> annotator/hypothes.is.
>
> I was wondering whether there might be some interest among folks here to see
> a fluidinfo back-end for annotator. Also, I'd be curious if there might be
> any interest in leveraging fluidinfo's capabilities further -- for example,
> if a user has added other tags on fluidinfo to a web site, such as a rating,
> would it make sense to display that rating alongside any annotations that
> they may have made?
>
> I recognize that there's probably some overlap in functionality here as
> well, and there may be some divergent approaches. But I wanted to ask
> whether there might be enough of a complementary capability set between
> fluidinfo and annotator to investigate some integration possibilities
> further.
>
> Regards,
>
>         -Kartik

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation