[annotator-dev] setting up with js to use annotate store

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Fri Jun 22 14:25:20 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-21 12:19, Ewald Zietsman wrote:
> Actually, they do show. There seems to be a bit of time required for
> them to show.

This is the problem.

So, I think I know why this is happening, and it *is* our problem.

The problem is that objects indexed by ElasticSearch are not made
available via the API immediately. The delay varies depending on machine
load, but is usually less than a minute.

Now, obviously this isn't great. There are a number of solutions
available to us which I'm investigating:

1) trigger an ElasticSearch refresh after every annotation create event.

2) use an actual database to back the annotator store (e.g. Mongo)

3) use some horrible front-end caching hack to temporarily store
recently indexed annotations until ElasticSearch reindexes. My feeling
is that this can't possibly beat solution 2) and is unlikely to beat
solution 1), so we probably won't do this.

I've created an issue to track this problem:

    https://github.com/okfn/annotator-store/issues/43