[annotator-dev] Minutes of Annotator Community Call on 2012-03-29
nick at whiteink.com
Fri Mar 30 12:06:27 UTC 2012
Please find below my attempt to clean up and summarise the notes taken
in our Annotator Community Call into something approaching a set of
minutes. I've also updated the Etherpad at
and don't forget you can always view the entire history of the pad at
P.S. If you're in a hurry, just grep for the string "ACTION:" to see
if there's anything that applies to you!
Annotator Community Call -- 2012-03-29
- David Brodsky, FinalsClub
- Adam Hyde, Booktype/FLOSSManuals
- Randall Leeds, Hypothes.is
- Andrew Magliozzi, FinalsClub
- Amir More, OpenKnesset
- Rufus Pollock, Open Knowledge Foundation
- Robert Sanderson, Open Annotation Collaboration/LANL
- Nick Stenning, Open Knowledge Foundation
- Dan Whaley, Hypothes.is
- Seth Woodworth, FinalsClub
Apologies from Simon Rainer, Yuma JS
1. State of Annotator from Nick
- What's new?
- What's coming up?
- How can the community help?
2. Update about OAC spec from Rob
- What must Annotator do to conform to the new spec?
3. Update about Shakespeare Annotations from Andrew
- What can FC.org do to get these in the best shape for OS.org?
4. Update about Hypothes.is from Randall and Dan
- What are you working on with Annotator?
- What do you need and how can you help?
[5. Future plans for annotation
- How should we address Yuma-js integration for multimedia annotation?]
6. What UX improvements can we make? Annotation creation and Annotation viewing?
7. How can we make annotation have more mass-market appeal?
1a. State of Annotator
- Lots of housekeeping recently
- A few unavoidable breaking changes introduced to the Auth API
- Now in a position to make only backwards compatible API changes
- We'll be able to introduce "breaking changes" without breaking old clients
1b. What's in the future for Annotator
- The Changing Content Problem -- http://tinyurl.com/anniss/115
- Threading of annotations/Annotation of annotations --
- Improve the UI to access/search/manage annotations in AnnotateIt --
- Login to AnnotateIt directly from other webpages --
- Update Wordpress plugin -- http://tinyurl.com/bmj8sjv
- Expose annotations in OAC format -- http://tinyurl.com/annitiss/11
1c. What can the community do?
- Be vocal
- Internally: let the mailing list know what you're up to. Join
us on IRC (#annotator on Freenode). Pitch in on the GitHub issue
- Externally: do some evangelism. More people need to know about Annotator!
- Deploy annotator
- ACTION: Create a list of Annotator deployments on the wiki
2. Update about OAC spec
- Reasonable alignment between the OAC spec and the Annotator spec
- See Andrew's spreadsheet: http://tinyurl.com/cxlymlt
- The OAC spec allows any piece of media to annotate any other (e.g.
a youtube video can be an annotation of a blog post, or the other way around)
- **Other annotators do not have to change their internal schemas**
- OAC asks simply that *if* annotations are exposed as RDF, they should
the OAC schema
3. Update about Shakespeare Annotations
- FinalsClub did some annotation work a few years ago, got PHD students to
annotate a whole bunch of things, including Shakespeare plays/sonnets/etc.
- ~3500 high quality Shakespeare annotations
- Some annotations contain images and other media
- The original authors are interested in continuing to participate
- One of the annotation authors is now studying Milton and wants to contribute
- Will share by Monday
4. Update from Hypothes.is
- Successfully deployed site + integrated store
- https://github.com/hypothesis/hypothes.is (coming very soon!)
- Working on chrome extension re-package of bookmarklet
- Playing with packaging options for distributing annotator plugins
- UI work
- OA data model work / RDFa Lite (on the embeds, for example)
- Start sketching the reputation APIs / model code
- What to do about portable user ids in the API?
- real-time plugin
- Get involved: planning upcoming G+ hangouts (ACTION: let the list know!)
5. Yuma-JS discussion postponed.
6. What UX improvements can we make?
- TEXTUS project is working on a canvas renderer for highlights
- OpenKnesset is working on a margin viewer plugin
- Trying to emulate the margin comments as they appear in google docs
- Hackathon this weekend
- Will send a PR when finished
- ACTION: Amir to send UI sketches to the list if possible
- Hypothes.is are also working on UI sketches for a margin display
- Realtime annotation
- All agreed that this is an important feature, especially for the
Hypothes.is use case and in general heavily-annotated sites
Conclusions and wrap-up
- A sincere "Thank you" to Andrew for cat-herding.
- This time generally works for everyone.
- ACTION: Organize a new call in one month.
- ACTION: Join this list if you haven't already!
More information about the annotator-dev