[annotator-dev] NLP Interchange Format (NIF)

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sun May 6 19:10:55 UTC 2012

Hi all,
please have a short look at:
http://svn.aksw.org/papers/2012/WWW_NIF/nif_public_draft2.pdf

I am currently developing this format within LOD2 and it might be
suitable as an exchange format for annotations on the web as well.
It uses a different way to locate text in a document, however, because
it is targeted towards strings/text in general, not only (x) html.

I had a look at the annotator code and it seems as if you are building
your Annotations on XPATH. Is this correct?
I have some students, who will develop a highlighting tool (server side)
also, which takes NIF as input and uses session hashes, so collaboration
might be possible. I think the least you should do is to provide an RDF
Vocabulary for your annotations and a converter, that converts your JSON
to RDF and vice versa. The RDF Vocab could be compatible with NIF. I
made a *very* rough draft here:
http://nlp2rdf.lod2.eu/tutorial/swp12-9/display.php

Is the AnnotateIt tools based on sessions, such as Google Docs? i.e. can
you send around a link with a private hash, so other people can edit there?
( see
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KFS1rsKfwlXPQxebi-7dckx-_3P2AQUVc6wuDmB0Lrw/edit
)

All the best,