[annotator-dev] Question about offset

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue May 8 08:49:11 UTC 2012

Hi again,
here is a demo of the way the students implemented our annotation service:

http://pcai042.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~swp12-9/vorprojekt/index.php?annotation_request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FDesignIssues%2FLinkedData.html%23hash_10_12_60f02d3b96c55e137e13494cf9a02d06_Semantic%2520Web

The parameter uses a NIF URI (see my last email) and then highlights the
part, which was marked. Currently, a PHP server-side component fetches
the html from the original source, rewrites the css and image uris und
then inserts the highlighting divs. In the future,  additional
Javascript will be added to further annotate and edit the comments.
Also, hashes will be used for sessions with no need to log in and to
install a bookmarklet.

We encountered quite a big problem however:
In the underlying HTML characters are, e.g. "Qualität" , but when
you get the selection via Javascript (e.g.  window.getSelection() or
innerHTML() ) the escaping is already resolved and it is normally
impossible to get the HTML as is with Javascript. Did you have the same
problem? Did you find a fix for it?

The student project will end in about 4 weeks and then we will disclose
all sources on sourceforge.net and can see, if there are compatible
parts with Annotateit.

All the best,
Sebastian

--