[annotator-dev] anonymous (or IP based) annotations

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Wed May 23 10:14:03 UTC 2012

On 17/05/2012 19:16, James Harriman-Smith wrote:
> On 17 May 2012 00:45, Marcel Augsburger <maugsburger at ciudadanointeligente.cl> wrote:
>
>> Hey there! I was checking out your site (congratulations, by the
>> way), and noticed a very useful feature. The annotations are made
>> anonymously, and registered in Annotateit.org with IPs!
>>
>> I installed a Wordpress plugin, made by a-fiore from OKFN (whom I
>> couldn't contact), and am currently trying to get it to make
>> annotations annonymously, the way it's done in OpenShakespeare. Do
>> you have any tips? Or could you tell me how you did it?

This isn't currently supported by the Wordpress plugin, and implementing
it is a little tricky, as Wordpress will need to provide a token
generator endpoint.

I'm probably not going to get to this soon, but if you happen to know
PHP and fancy contributing to the Wordpress plugin, then here are all
the relevant links.

Wordpress plugin source code:
  https://github.com/okfn/annotator-wordpress

Annotator auth documentation:
  https://github.com/okfn/annotator/wiki/Authentication

OpenShakespeare token generator:

https://github.com/okfn/shakespeare/blob/master/shakespeare/controllers/token.py

Do join the annotator-dev list (in CC) and don't hesitate to ask for
help there.

Best wishes,
Nick