[annotator-dev] Request for discussion: non-text annotations?

Simon Rainer Rainer.Simon at ait.ac.at
Thu Nov 22 08:26:01 UTC 2012

Hi Randal, hi all,

at the moment there is not much documentation available yet. But, yes, in Yuma/Annotorious (long story... but there's a name-change lurking ;-) things are kept relatively simple.

As you say, there's a "shape" field, which holds a 'type' identifier (currently 'Rectangle', 'Point', 'Polygon'), and a 'geometry' field with the actual coordinates/shape properties. Early beginnings of documentation, with an example for 'Rectangle' are here:
https://github.com/annotorious/annotorious/wiki/JavaScript-API

Coordinates are encoded as pixels. But I'm also considering switching to relative coordinates, since it makes it easier to properly handle images that are scaled in the browser from their original source resolution. Regarding our 'type' vocabulary: we really made that up, based on what I want to have in Annotorious in the near future, with no 'standard' behind it at all. But I'm thinking of at least aligning with the SVG shape types and property naming conventions:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/shapes.html

Not sure whether this captures all possible use cases; so extensibility is definitely needed nonetheless. (E.g. we currently have a use case for annotation of placenames on maps - https://github.com/rsimon/toponymotator. In this case we're dealing with (tilted) rectangles that have a dedicated "anchor point" and "baseline". We can simply cover that by encoding them as polygons, with the convention that the first coordinate is always the anchor, and the line to the second coordinate is always the baseline. But possibly a little more 'semantics' in the representation would be nice.)

Cheers,
Rainer