[annotator-dev] Request for discussion: non-text annotations?

Simon Rainer Rainer.Simon at ait.ac.at
Thu Nov 22 11:08:14 UTC 2012

Hi Robert,

only briefly:

< The "shape" part looks good, I would like to switch my implementation to this format. >

Cool!

+1 on the 'units' extension. 'fraction' and 'pixel' for the time being? (I'm also thinking about our use case with OpenLayers, which works with map coordinates. So this might be a nice way to handle those cleanly.)

Regarding SVG: I'm also against using SVG directly (we've done it in the very first iteration of Yuma, and I've had similar experiences). But I think the base vocabulary (shape types/names, the property names to define the geometry of a particular shape) could be re-used. The HTML "area" feels a bit over-simplistic, and I agree that having geometry encoded just as strings of (unnamed?) numbers is not a good representation.

Regarding shape alternatives: hm. I still need to think through the entire case first I guess. But rather than having alternatives, I think, I'd simply add extra properties to the shape itself. Say something like:

shape : {
  type : 'Polygon',
  geometry : { units : 'pixel',  coords: [{x: 10, y: 10}, {x: 100, y: 10}, {x: 100, y: 20}, {x: 10, y: 20}] },
  anchorPoint: 0
}

and then 'unaware' clients would simply skip the anchorPoint property, dealing only with the raw shape. Or maybe the fact that it's (in this case) a "placename annotation" shouldn't be encoded in the shape at all, but rather at the level above (as part of the annotation). Anyways: still needs more thinking, I guess, and is part of another discussion, probably :-)

Regarding multiple targets: Annotorious doesn't have the necessary UI features for handling that use case at the moment. But I agree it's something we need to handle in the format sooner rather than later. I think I'm going to change my 'shape' field to 'shapes' and then simply use a JSON array of shapes, rather than a single object.

Cheers,
Rainer