[annotator-dev] Request for discussion: non-text annotations?

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Mon Nov 26 22:21:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Robert Casties <casties at mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de
> wrote:

> On 26.11.12 17:57, Robert Casties wrote:
> >> In terms of practical examples, Open Annotation has a wiki that's sort
> of
> >> buried over at the W3C site. In this example, both Well-Known-Text and
> SVG
> >> are used to select part of a map. It might give us some inspiration:
> >> http://maphub.github.com/api/#comment_example
> >
> > Interesting examples. They seem to be afraid to show their full SVG :-)
>
> I take that back, it is complete  :-) (But XML inside RDF, argh. and the
> units...)

I would encourage you to ignore the RDF. In this thread, we've already been
talking about a pseudo-SVG-projected-into-JSON field so it's not like we're
in a position to judge. ;)

OA stays "pure", in a sense, by making heavy use of standards, but we
shouldn't feel bound to their serialization of anything when we know that
developers are using JSON over the wire. Principle of least surprise
suggests we should stick near these vocabularies wherever possible as long
as it doesn't cause a total "WTF" when viewed through the JSON lens.