[annotator-dev] Overview of (most of) our anchoring work

Kristof Csillag csillag at hypothes.is
Wed Dec 18 17:15:11 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have created a diagram, which tries to explain (some parts of) the
anchoring system we are using in Hypothes.is

It's here:

    http://imagedemo.dokku.hypothes.is/

Of course the image itself is annotated with Hypothes.is, so you get
explanations about all the components, with links to the relevant part
of the source.

It's slightly out of sync with our latest work, but it's a good start.

I have tried to explain the new concepts, what the various components
are doing, and how they work together, etc.

What is missing from this picture is that now we have dynamic anchoring,
which means that we are watching the document for changes, and we
update/remove/re-do our anchors to reflect those changes. Also, DTM is
optional now.

(I intend to to upgrade those diagram with these features, and also the
source links to point to newer versions, but I just did not get around
doing it yet. Hopefully, in a few days...)

It would be great if you could review this, and of course any feedback
is welcome, since we are going to merge (most of) this into Annotator 2.0.

   * * *

Unfortunately, we (in Hypothes.is) have not yet implemented automatic
email notifications for replies, so if you add a comment or question,
you will have to drop me a note about it.

Thank you:

  Kristof