[annotator-dev] colored notes

Steph Skardal steph at endpoint.com
Thu Dec 5 17:00:36 UTC 2013

I know there were a bunch of later responses regarding this, but I
thought I'd chime in on my work.

First off, I had to make some modifications to the annotator core to
allow the user to select a color for new layers. This involved changes
to the "addField" method. I also had to add a hook in my annotator
plugin to assign layers category classes (e.g. .category-one,
.category-two).

After the user has selected the category, the jQuery plugins xColor and
jQuery.Rule are used to adjust the background colors:

               var current_hex = '#FFFFFF';
	      var opacity = 0.4 / total_number_of_colored_highlights;
	      jQuery.each(unique_layers, function(key, value) {
	        var color_combine = jQuery.xcolor.opacity(current_hex, *some_hex_for_the_current_layer*, opacity);
	        current_hex = color_combine.getHex();
	      });
	      jQuery.rule(selector + ' { background-color: ' + current_hex + '; }').appendTo('#adhoc_stylesheet');

Essentially, this loops through all the applicable colors to a specific
set of categories tied to a node (e.g. .category-one.category-two,
.category-one, .category-two), and builds the hex by using
jQuery.xcolors color combine method.

This is a lot more complex than just the code above, because the site
has a lot more functionality built on top of the annotator plugin. I'm
not planning on releasing this as a plugin for annotator, but the code
will be / is open source. Now it lives in the annotator branch here:
https://github.com/berkmancenter/h2o/tree/annotator

I'm not necessarily pointing to this as a solution, but rather to give
an idea of the tools I used to combine colored highlights and mention
that I did have to override the annotator core to accomplish this.

Steph