[annotator-dev] AnnotateIt.org Webpage Metadata Storage

Abel Corver contact at abelcorver.com
Wed Feb 20 22:21:18 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I have recently started using AnnotateIt.org - both the plugin and the API
- and am amazed how well it works. I have two questions, but if you want
background on my project, please see the P.S.

(1) Is there currently an extension to "link" two comments - which might be
on different webpages - together? Is anyone writing this extension, or
would anyone be interested in collaborating to create one?

(2) <AnnotateIt.org/api> already stores as metadata for every comment the
website URL, but stores no information about the URL itself. For my project
- if a webpage represents an article, documents, video, etc - I want to
allow users to enter the author, title, published date, document type, etc.

I imagine this functionality would also be useful for a lot of other people
who are using AnnotateIt.

Could the AnnotateIt store and API be extended to allow the storage of this
information? I would be very willing to help.

I've tried hard to find current projects that allow developers to store
metadata about webpages through an API, but couldn't find one. Do any of
you have any tips?

Thanks again for the great plugin & API. I'm looking forward to your ideas!

Best,
Abel.

P.S. For some time I've been working on an online project that will allow
people to collaboratively research sources relating to government policies,
as well as related documents. These sources could range from UN
resolutions, ICJ decisions, World Bank reports, government legislative
records, etcetera. Furthermore, all annotations, highlights, etc., will be
open to all other viewers.

The system will support highlighting, annotation, but most importantly the
linking of 'evidence' in source A - e.g. a report by the Congressional
Research Service - to a 'claim' in source B - e.g. a speech by a
politician. Other viewers will be able to vote on the quality of these
'links'.

A new visitor of the website will thus get a good picture of the accuracy
of certain sources, and can easily access the 'supporting' sources if
he/she is interested.