[annotator-dev] Multiple Ranges

Abel Corver contact at abelcorver.com
Wed Mar 6 19:06:52 UTC 2013

@Ernesto: I'm planning to implement this "link to other annotation"
functionality soon for Hypothes.is. The code will as far as I can see be
written in the Hypothes.is fork of Annotator though, so it'd be great if
you want to cooperate on this. As I see it now, we need two things:

(1) An extra "grab URL" button that pops up when you highlight a piece of
text, which returns a unique URL to that particular range. The information
could either be completely stored in the URL, or the URL might be a
shortened version that can be used to request all the information from the
database.

(2) Functionality that will display annotations differently when the
Annotator 'notices' that a URL to another annotation has been inserted. It
might for example display the other comment side-by-side. Markdown already
supports URLs, so it should simply be a matter of displaying the URL
differently.

(3) We also might want to store the annotation-to-annotation separately -
in addition to as part of the annotation body - so that it is easy to query
"references" and "referenced by" information. That way the user can
navigate "both ways"

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Maybe we can work together.

Best,
Abel.