[annotator-dev] Multiple Ranges

Ernesto Torresin (ML) ewk-ml at connettivo.net
Wed Mar 6 21:27:02 UTC 2013

Hello Abel

thanks for letting me know the Hypothes.is project. It makes sense to me
that when annotations become a crowd, piling them up in stacks becomes
crucial, and a simple factorialisation like the "link to other
annotation" one, would allow sparse yet precise hyper-annotations on a
text. Annotations quoted over and over all over the text would certainly
stand for a feature of the text, that I could describe as a facet of it.
Many pieces of text, if not all, have an interwoven structure, and
similar meanings appear at different locations. This is true not only
for the text itself, but for the reading. It is simply our mind that
does not annotate one single point in the world once and for all.

Concerning the technique, a layer of Local Storage can do this and much
more than this. I suppose that linking between annotations could happen
using gestures like the ones of add-n-drop, so clicking on a start
button the cursor becomes busy and clicking on a landing button the
cursor... lands.
Serially numbered labels can summarise visually the reference for a
range, à la DocBook. Same label means same reference.

Writing such a piece of code, I'd probably start by avoiding a Xanadu
effect, simplifying things a bit and have the first annotation, i.e. the
bottom of the heap, hold the URL, and the other Matryoshka dolls reflect
it. In case of update, the second Matryoshka doll would hold the
original URL - people updating a quote on a range won't certainly think
about all the stack.

I think that one thousand things can come out of the OKFN Annotator and
similar projects. I am grateful to those who figured it out.
BTW I'm not really a coder, so you should not miss me much if I am not
helping in making Hypothes.is.

Now I hope that some real expert in this list will drop us a line about
the uncanny in hyper-annotations :-)

Ciao!

Ernesto