[annotator-dev] JSON-LD as data interchange format [WAS Re: Branching v2.0.x]

Anna Gerber anna.m.gerber at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 00:49:13 UTC 2013

We use a triplestore to store annotations and have our own store plugin to
map from the internal Annotator representation to OA JSON-LD on save and
load:
https://github.com/uq-eresearch/annotator/blob/master/src/plugin/lorestore.coffee

However, storing the annotations in a triplestore is definitely overkill,
and other than the validation service (which could be split off into a
separate service anyway), most of our SPARQL queries are pretty simple, so
in hindsight there's not a lot of benefit of this approach. I expect the
same queries would be faster using something like MongoDB (at one point I
thought it would be interesting to fork the MIT-Annotation-Data-Store,
update it to use OA JSON-LD, and then run some benchmarks to compare the
two stores, but I still need to finish that).

Mapping the internal JSON representation to OA JSON-LD was pretty
straightforward, but I did have to hardcode some mappings based on
assumptions of which plugins we would be using - e.g. to map onto the right
kind of OA selectors because we deal with both text and image annotations,
and to map the internal field created by our motivations plugin to OA
motivation. NB: we're not using the tag plugin, but if we were I would have
represented them as multiple bodies as Rob has suggested.

So we do need to think about how targets and selectors are represented in
the current internal model, because this will become more complicated as it
becomes easier to write plugins for different media types for Annotator
2.0, and particularly if people start writing plugins that annotate
multiple targets (and yes I'm aware I was meant to have written up a
discussion of these very issues and posted it to the list months ago -
sorry for being so slack!)

Anna