[annotator-dev] Automated Browser Testing

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Fri Jun 20 20:54:23 UTC 2014

<billhunt> nickstenn (afk, I know) & tilgovi :  Finally found a decent
package to integrate the existing test runner with Saucelabs, but requires
the use of grunt.  Or rewriting the whole package to not use grunt.  Is
grunt a dealbreaker for dev?

I'm not a big fan of Grunt. I've played with it a few times and didn't find
it offered anything significant over Makefiles. It's useful when you want
to make some transformation pipeline out of JS modules, but if those
modules expose a CLI like browserify, uglify and others do, then it's not
really offering anything over GNU Make.

Gulp, on the other hand, seems to play to the strengths of node without
reinventing the dependency tree.

What did you find?

Also, I'm not opposed to looking at other services than Saucelabs. For
instance, I've heard good things about BrowserStack:
http://www.browserstack.com/

I also wouldn't shy away from reworking our test runner. We don't need to
keep doing it the way we're doing it if there's a better way. I'd rewrite
that, if it's not too much work, before switching build systems just to use
the existing test runner.