[annotator-dev] About the future of the Range implementation

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Tue Jun 17 01:30:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> They seem like Selectors? Is there a difference?

Yes. It is a different thing entirely. It is a Range object, specific to
(X)HTML scripting APIs.

Our specs are currently silent on this, but I've often thought we should
have a RangeSelector in core. We are already doing this in Hypothesis. I
believe others are, too.

> And if not, please don't check something into an *openannotation* repo
> that acts like something from the model but is called something totally
> different!

If (when?) we make a library for DOM Selection I would want to consider
what a scripting API for selectors looks like with consideration for Open
Annotation.

It seems like there's not a confusion of language. It's actually quite
harmonious. A Selector is serialiizable data, defined by our model. A
Selector could become a Selection after parsing and anchoring to actualized
DOM.

It's worth establishing some expectations here, since you raise concerns.
Does absolutely everything in the openannotation GitHub organization have
to be directly related to some aspect of Open Annotation, specifically?
I've been operating under the assumption that it could be a place to
collect tools and libraries produced by the community which help in the
practical implementation of Open Annotation solutions, whether or not they
directly relate to concepts from the data model.