[annotator-dev] Switch to JavaScript?

Kristof Csillag csillag at hypothes.is
Thu Jun 19 16:17:00 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-19 18:03, steph wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/19/2014 10:17 AM, Andrew - FinalsClub wrote:
>>
>> Would we be better served for the time being by adding a few examples
>> to the documentation showing both vanilla JS and Coffeescript
>> side-by-side with some guidelines about how someone could write
>> either style and submit a plugin, patch, or PR?
>
> Just chiming in on this: It's not a possibility to contribute code in
> JS or CoffeeScript. All of the CoffeeScript of the core compiles into
> the various JS packages (bundled together or independently), and those
> compiled JS versions are not included in the repo.

What you are describing here are just accidental properties of the
current build system.

There is not substantial reason blocking from JS code being combined
with CS code.

It should be easy to add new plugins in separate packages, which contain
100% pure vanilla JS.
(Especially since moving to the new npm  - based packaging system.)

Obviously, some documentation and code samples would help with
advertising that route.

Hopefully, we will get there soon.

   Kristof