[annotator-dev] Website and Github Pages

Randall Leeds tilgovi at hypothes.is
Thu May 15 02:33:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Steph Skardal <steph at endpoint.com> wrote:

>  Ok, I think I am following your updates now after rereading, Randall.
> However, what this means to me is that every time a blog article is added,
> there will be a commit in both the master branch and gh-pages branch that
> would need to be pulled reflecting changes in the jekyll source and jekyll
> destination files. This is fine, but it brings up a bit of an opportunity
> for master and gh-pages to be unsynced if corresponding pull requests are
> not made at the same time. I understand the motivations for keeping source
> files out of the gh-pages branch, so I think doing it this way is fine
> until it possibly becomes a headache.
> Steph

This is why I made the rake task. If you `rake ghp` then it will make a
commit on gh-pages that brings it up to date.
We don't need one for every single commit on master, just when we want to
ship the site.

The intention was also that the developer does not have to switch. Work
entirely on master all the time. Run `rake ghp` from master and it
generates a single commit on gh-pages that updates it completely.