[annotator-dev] Open Annotation support in Annotator

Robert Sanderson azaroth42 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 21:15:28 UTC 2014

Hi Ben, Randall,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Benjamin Young <bigbluehat at hypothes.is>
 wrote:

> > 2.  User holds the user name of the account, and thus the appropriate
>> mapping is foaf:nick
>> >For our use at Hypothesis, the user field is a URI, not a string literal
>> representing a foaf:nick.
>>
> Could the value of oa:annotatedBy not directly be the user URI in this
> case?
> "The object of the [oa:annotatedBy] relationship is a resource that
> identifies the agent responsible for creating the Annotation."
> Is that overly simplified?

Yes, it could be ... and indeed that would be exactly what the model
expects.

The distinction would be between:
    { "oa:annotatedBy" : "http://server.net/people/handle" }
and:
    { "oa:annotatedBy" : {"foaf:nick" : "handle" } }

Where the first is clearly globally unique, and the second is dependent on
the user list of whichever system is managing the 'handle' user.

It'd be great if this was able to be relied upon in Annotator 2.0?  Or is
that asking too much? :)

Rob