[annotator-dev] Annotator and Meteor

Andrew - FinalsClub andrew at finalsclub.org
Wed Sep 3 14:04:11 UTC 2014

Hey All,

Especially @Mitar. At FinalsClub, we have been working on a new social reading site built using Meteor (a newfangled JavaScript framework). Meteor is nice, because it offers isomorphic JavaScript - that is, the same code to run on the client and server. It also provides the magic of reactive data binding between clients and server.

We have gotten a basic working version of Annotator with a meteor-specific store plugin. (I can share the code if anyone is curious.). However, there are some aspects of Annotator that we are grappling with.

For instance, we were wondering how the XPath-Range plugin is currently being used. Also, we want to include the coffeescript (not compiled JS) of Annotator in our project, but aren't sure how to accomplish that using Meteor's custom package system.

@Mitar, I've seen your handle on a few meteor github issues and wonder if could help us. I've cc'd Bryan and Ari from our team if they have anything to add.

Also, if anyone else is interested in helping, just say so. We'd be glad to put our work on the OpenAnnotation organization if you'd like as well.

Best,
Andrew